We thank Donald and Polly Hunger for donating the historic millstone for display across the road from the church by the flag pole. The millstone, according to what Don’s father told him, was imported for a new gristmill established around the year 1700 on Raccoon Creek. The millstone, made of granite and weighing 2 tons, was only in use for a short time. The gristmill venture did not succeed and the millstone was left lying along the creek.
Raccoon Creek runs between what is now the Olean road and what was the main road to Friendship, Indiana.
The millstone was ceremonially dedicated to the Hunger family following worship at St. Paul Lutheran Church on August 25.